Tuesday, July 13, 2010

C4T- Jeff Utecht

July 1 2010
ISTE 2010 Reflections

This post was about Jeff Utecht's reflection about the International Society For Technology in Education conference that he recently attended. Jeff reflects that the themes are "mobile" and global" and that teachers need to "reach" out to make global connections for themselves and their students.

Hi Mr. Utecht,
My name is Nichole and I am a part of Dr. Strange’s EDM 310 class and I have been assigned to read your blog for the next 3 weeks. My blog is here
The thought of global learning never crossed my mind until I entered this class. The deeper I am getting into it, the more I realize that I’m not going to just stop once the class is over. It’s great for teachers and students. Where is there a better support system than that of kids from all over the world helping each other through blogs? That is collaboration at its height.
But, while what I said sounded great (at least in my head), the educational system is stuck in the past. I believe that the “old school” should be put to rest and let’s bring on an educational system that truly empowers children to grow in creativity and mind alike.

July 8 2010

Policies, Safety, and Social Networking ~ Steve Dembo ISTE10


This post contained a video entitled Digital Dossier. This video shows how a persons information is recorded from birth on the Internet and is very... sobering, for lack of a better word.

This video was very enlightening and rather scary. I think it’s very important for students to be aware of what they are posting to the Internet, especially the things that could be damaging later. It is amazing how quickly information can be collected about someone and that it all starts with a simple picture at birth.

July 13, 2010
Are We Teaching Networked Literacy


This post was about networked literacy. Jeff makes it a point that teachers are teaching from print resources more than anything else. He also says that it is important for kids to develop social networks and to be able to utilize them to find out information more than they use a search engine such as Google.

Jeff,
This post is what students are really asking for. If students could have a social network to turn to in school, the information would not only come easier, but faster. Sources could not only be based on facts, but personal experiences and the thoughts of other. If a student has the right people in their social network, instead of spending hours searching for the right article, they can directly ask an expert in their field. I think that if and when this method is utilized, it will not only make the students more attentive and eager to learn, but more willing to be active in the classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment