Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Compose. Network. Meh.

This is a picture of Inspector Gadget as the perfect online teacher. His gadgets include a learning environment,web access, creative and publishing, info management, and skill sets for the 21st century.
Richard Miller: This Is How We Dream

"The limits and restrictions are largely ones we place on ourselves". I feel that this was one of the most powerful messages in these videos. Everyone has unaddressed fears and for some of us, it is the web. It isn't the Internet or the computer itself, it is taking on the task of learning how to use new tools and pick up a new "trade" so to speak. While the computer can be intimidating, from what I've what I've learned so far, there are an infinite amount of ways to get help, videos to watch, and an infinite amount of blog posts and websites to learn from.

By watching this video, it has not prepared me to write with multimedia but it has prepped me, so to speak. This video brought home the reality to me that education is just not going to be the same when I graduate. I may not be grading any essays at all but videos, blog posts, and wiki entries.

I stand in awe at this technology revolution. By keeping up with my PLN after this class and through my career, I know I will be well equipped for whatever new is thrown my way, even "composing" with multimedia.

The Networked Student by Wendy Drexler

This video by Ms. Drexler was very informative, like a set of instructions. However, the path to being able to have networked students seems very gray. As Ms. Drexler says on her blog, there are many obstacles to over come before being able to do this. I hope that Ms. Drexler, as well as myself, can accomplish the task of having networked students.

Such obstacles that accompany having networked students would be parents, administrators, blocked websites/software/applications, and how much responsibility/freedom you let a student have. For students to be more than just model memory keepers, they have to assume some level of responsibility for their work. I think working collaboratively on the Internet is perfect for this. What's a computer without unlimited information of the Internet?

Am I ready to be a teacher of networking students? Well, no. However, I do have the confidence to learn more about it to prepare myself. I find this to be a great learning opportunity and a much easier research method than "Don't use Wikipedia".


Michael Wesch Video

This video was of the easiest videos to understand because I knew about everything Wesch talked about. I've read 1984 and Brave New World and I've also watched YouTube videos for a long time now. After watching his students talk to themselves in the camera, I understand why my video isn't too great. It's really different to act out something with someone else in front a camera compared to have a "private talk" with your camera. Another thing I enjoyed about this video is his perception of the "whatever" and "meh" generations. I find it interesting that we, as humans, do like to complain about almost everything but it's rare that anything is done about it but a simple "whatever, meh".
This is a picture of the word meh as an element. The caption is meh, the element of indifference

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jessica! The Richard Miller video blew my mind. I share the same views as you do about when I graduate education will not be the same. I completely agree with that statement. I think back to my grade school days about how my teacher would write all the notes on the board and we would copy them and not even really discuss the notes. Now that I am in college I am being trained on smartboards and taught how to blog. Grading papers, I believe, will not be part of the future. Everything will be done on the computer. Great post Jessica!

    Erin

    ReplyDelete